Big Dragon

 

    I know this is a controversial opinion to have but I am so sick of authors thinking that to have a messy and dramatic love story they have to fill it with abuse and manipulation. 

I did not like this show. I did not like Kinn Porsche. I did not like Love in the Air (second half). I did not like Fahlanruk. Extortion, manipulation, bullying, and physical violence do not make good enemies to lovers stories. Toxic lovers aren't interesting or swoon-worthy. Maybe it's because I've been in my fair share of abusive and toxic relationships to know that there is nothing to romanticize. 

I get that good art imitates life, and shitty people exist in real life so they should also exist in movies/tv/books, but is it so hard to keep the shitty people as the side characters or out of love stories? They don't deserve a happy ending without an actual redemption arch. If you're going to have these people be terrible, they need to change in ways that affect the world and the lives of the people they interact with as equally as their assholish behaviors did. These easily forgiven horrible people make my head hurt. 

You don't need abuse to have a power dynamic. You don't need abuse to have the two fight and be enemies. There are so many more interesting ways to tell these messy stories and it would be much fucking sexier than whatever this current stream of trash is. 

If you stripped away all of that, this story would have been amazing. It would have been one of my favorite shows. Top three for 2022 for sure. Instead, it's bottom rung and I'm really disappointed by that because it continuously feels like a disservice to the actors, the characters, the fans, and pretty much everyone involved. 

I can't even sit down and properly review a show like this because I'm just sad. 

5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment