DNA Says I Love You

    
    I knew nothing going into this show. I had never seen any of the trailers or read any of the synopsis floating around and I am a little grateful for that. 

Since I've now seen the trailers and read a lot of people's workups of the show after having seen it, I would have gone into this show believing it was about a trans man and been a little disappointed because that isn't the story you actually get here. Which, I'm not saying that stories about intersex relationships are not as interesting to me, it just would have felt like a cop-out or easy way to tell this story instead of tackling the current climate around trans issues. 

So it was nice to go into it having no previous inclinations and intaking the story for exactly what it was. Beautiful. I'm not a big fan of shows that use the trope of long-lost friends destined to happen upon each other and fall in love and I'm also thankful that this wasn't THAT. It was an active effort and a bond that held strong through the years apart. 

I do have to admit that I couldn't help but find myself sucked out of the mood of a scene every time Lukas Huang was crying though, it was the only part of the acting throughout that felt very forced, besides the one where his crying was mixed with a bit of anger and confusion, instead of just sadness. He delivered the confrontation scene impeccably. 

If I ever get caught up with all these shows, I may find myself watching this one again. 

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment